My name is Zack Tucker. This is my website.
I'm a design theorist, researcher, and educator.
Currently, I serve as an Assistant Professor of Communication Design at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, USA.
What I Do
I utilize design justice and action research methodologies to explore and interact with historic and entangled challenges associated with civic engagement in the United States. In particular, I have adopted a place-based creative and scholarly practice around Freedom Summer 1964 and its relevance to contemporary social justice and voter suppression issues. My work tends to be transdisciplinary, collaborative, participatory, and reflective. By conducting research through design, I put theory into practice engaging with various communities through creative activities like exhibitions of design work, curated experiences, and commissioned professional projects. My scholarly publications and presentations are a result of this reflective creative practice and contribute to building new knowledge in the discipline of design through critical interrogation of methodology with the goal of achieving more equitable, cooperative, and reciprocal approaches.
- Finding Freedom Summer Traveling Panel Exhibit with collaborators Jacky Johnson, Stephanie Danker, Alia Levar Wegner, Kim Hoffman, Carla Myers, and Bob Wicks.
- Re/visiting Civil Rights History through a Contemporary Lens: Operating a grant to facilitate a student study away trip to significant civil rights spaces in Mississippi and Alabama with collaborators Jacky Johnson, Stephanie Danker, and Elizabeth Hoover.
- Autoethnographic visual essay examining my own positionalities and subjectivities in relation to my work with Freedom Summer as part of the AIGA DEC Design Writing Fellowship.
- Article: Reflective Practice through Cooperation: Using Twitter Bots to Teach Co-Design Methods with collaborators Constance Ordeman and Karen Mauk.
- Presentation: Finding Freedom Summer Traveling Exhibit at the National Civil Rights Conference with collaborators Jacky Johnson, Stephanie Danker, Alia Levar Wegner, Kim Hoffman, Carla Myers, and Bob Wicks.
- Solo Exhibition: Dialogues on Democracy at Southeast Missouri State University.
- Article: Using Twitter Bots to Critically Question the Belief Systems of College-Aged Republicans and Democrats published internationally in The Design Journal.
Selected Publications, Exhibitions, and Presentations